November 24th 09 REACH Parent Network
1. Help a parent! Need to know something? Want to contact other parents? This is YOUR space....
Port Moody family looking to connect with
families who share similar experiences. Our eldest son Ayden is 4 years
old. Just got diagnosed with ASD, he has anxiety issues and has GDD..
Does have bouts of self injury, hitting his head on hard object and
using his fists to hit himself. Therefore he has to wear a helmet most
times. We are looking to connect with families to help us navigate the
system, we are in the process of getting therapies line up etc. We feel
that getting/sharing information with other will be beneficial. Phone
is 604 461-2997
· Pictures with Santa!! White Spot
in Tsawwassen Saturday December 12th...11:00 - 3:00. Picture with Santa
by donation. All proceeds will go to Delta Life Skills.
· Does anyone know of a Support Group for parents/individuals with cerebral palsy in the Kamloops area? Reply to Tammy_vanderkamp@telus.net
· Funding now available for some BC residents with disabilities! The Equipment and Assistive Technology Initiative is now accepting applications. What is the Equipment and Assistive Technology Initiative (EATI)? Federal
government funding of $4M a year (for 5 years) that will be used to
acquire equipment and assistive technology, assessments, training and
ongoing supports to enable people with disabilities to participate in
the labour force, pre-employment training or volunteer sector. To be eligible for EATI funding you must: Be 18 years of age or older; Be A BC Resident; Be Unemployed or Employed
with low skills (e.g. low English literacy, incomplete high school) and
looking to upgrade; Be Ineligible for EI; & Demonstrate a need for
Assistive Technology. How to Reach EATI: Toll free hotline: 877.333.7554?Email: EATI@bcits.org
· The December meeting of the Transition Parent group will be held on Wednesday, December 2nd at 6:30pm. Guest speakers for the evening will be John Davies, CLBC (Community Living BC) and Sylvie Zebroff, Family Partnership Advisor for CLBC.
John will give us an update on the recent reorganization of CLBC and
Sylvie, who is CLBC's first Family Partnership Advisor, can tell us
about her role in this new positionPacific Spirit Community Health
Centre; 2110 West 43rd (@West Blvd).
2. Reach Child and Youth Development Society
2.a Reach News :
2.b Reach Workshops (Childcare is available upon request)
· Supporting Families Living with FASD and Complex Behaviour. Come
to share ideas, learn some new strategies, be enlightened , and meet
others who are caring for and working with individuals with Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder and Complex Behaviours . Thursday Nov. 26, 2009 6-8pm Delta School District Boardroom 4585 Harvest Drive, Delta To Register: phone: 604.946.4101
· Kids Friendship Club dates and times for Winter 2010.
A group for children and youth with autism facilitated by behavioural
consultants in a group of 8-10 children to strengthen socials skills
and develop peer connections. Children must be able to manage safely
and independently in a ratio of 4:1. Cost is $650.00 Located at 11425-84th Avenue North Delta BC. Call Elysa Philip,
coordinator at 604-946-6622 ext.312 to discuss registration. The
younger kids are ages 9-11. Wednesdays from 6:00-7:30pm, January 6th-March 10th; The older kids are ages 12-15 years old Tuesdays from 6:30-8:30pm January 5- March 9th
· Changes to the Reach EIBI program and link to the new ABA page
· Autism treatments: Risky alternative therapies have little basis in science...
· ACT- Autism Community Training is pleased to announce that Chapter 3 - Developing a Treatment Team for a Child with Autism Spectrum Disorder is now available, including an extensive list of references and resources.
· Lookout for this movie: Including Samuel.
· For mothers of children with autism, the caregiving life proves stressful... I never new that...
· Asperger's Syndrome Wives Need Understanding
· Autism by Cyndi Ringoen
· The ABA Support Network Presents "Functional Analysis for Parents"
Special Guest - Katie Allen, M.S., BCBA Behavior Consultant, ABLE
Developmental Clinic. Parents and professionals alike will benefit from
learning about this essential step in ABA treatment. Through video,
PowerPoint, and discussion, Katie will explain what functional analysis
is and when to use it. Tuesday, December 8, 2009 , 7-9pm, Surrey Sport
and Leisure Complex, 16555 Fraser Hwy. Use Arena entrance and go up
stairs to MP Room #3 RSVP: firstname.lastname@example.org
· Autism 2009 AWARES conference
· Autism: Parent training complements medication for treating Behavioral Problems in Children With PDD.
5. Community Living BC , Ministry of Children and Family Development & Ministry of Housing and Social Development
· Government Expels the Voices of People with Disabilities and their Families
BCACL is outraged at the government's decision
to repeal sections of the Community Living Authority Act that ensure
people with disabilities and family members are represented on the
governing board of Community Living BC, the crown agency that provides
services to people with developmental disabilities. The changes, as
outlined in Bill 20, passed a third reading in the legislature on
Wednesday, after debate and expressed opposition to the changes by the
NDP. No consultation with the community was undertaken and no notice
was given to community stakeholders of this impending change. Read the full press release here. What can you do? Write a letter to the editor. Write to your MLA. Click here for an MLA Finder. Write to or call the Premier:?Fax a letter to the Premier at 604-660-5488 (Constituency) or 250-387-0087 (Victoria)?Phone the Premier at 604-660-3202 (Constituency) or 250-387-1715 (Victoria). Write to or call Rich Coleman,
Minister of Housing and Social Development. ?Fax a letter to the
Minister at 604 882-3154 (Constituency) or 250 356-7292
(Victoria)?Phone the Minister at 604 882-3151 (Constituency) or 250
· Individualized Funding Information Sessions - for self advocates and families?This
session is for people interested in learning about Community Living
BC's (CLBC) two Individualized Funding payment options for adults:
Direct Funding and Host Agency Funding. This information session will
explain how IF can be accessed by individuals who are eligible for CLBC
adult services and their families. We will also discuss things to think
about when deciding whether IF is right for you. Sessions will be held
in Fort St. John, Kamloops, Prince George, Kelowna and Cranbrook. Download the flyer for different times and locations.
· CLBC The Citizen Current Edition
· Including Students. with Exceptionalities..
· How one family won the battle to ban homework
· Gates Foundation gives $335M for teacher quality,.
· Put aside $3 Billion for the Kids
· Families disowned? - Public Eye Online
· 21 Nov 2009 ... BC Government Politics Blog,
· New deal for disabled
9. Workshops & Training
· ?> See All ACT Upcoming Events??Register now for Early Bird Rates!
· Building Social Relationships: Social Skills Groups in Surrey for teens and young adults with ASD Group
members will be videotaped interacting with a partner and will watch
themselves on videotape. This technique is called video self-modeling
and has been supported by research as being an effective learning tool
for individuals with ASD. Winter Term: January 13 to
March 3, 2010 (8 weeks) Spring Term: March 24 to May 12, 2010 (8 weeks)
Young Teen Group (ages 12 to 14) meets Wednesdays from 6:30 to 7:30 pm Older
Teen Group (ages 15 to 19) Wednesdays from 7:45 to 8:45 pm Registration
Deadline for Winter Term is Friday, January 9, 2010. Registration
Deadline for Spring Term is Friday, March 20, 2010. Cost: $400 plus $45 registration fee which covers a screening interview. Location: 15353 92nd Avenue, Surrey. To Register contact Joanne Drummond Phone# 604-306-4475 email@example.com
· Monday November 30, 2009 Teleseminar "Bridging Interests: 1" The first installment in our series about the importance and purpose of Interests. To register now, click here . Deadline for registration is 8:00pm Nov 28, 2009 (pacific time)
· Douglas College Employment Specialist Series 2009/2010 . SUPPORTED SELF EMPLOYMENT CRN:
31485 Dates: (8 days) Nov 23, 24, 25 & 26 Nov 30, Dec 1, 2 & 3
2009. Times: 830 am to 430 pm (56 hours) Tuition: $795 (includes
materials) Location: Douglas College New Westminster, 700 Royal Ave . SUPPORTED EMPLOYMENT: FOUNDATIONS AND APPLICATION CRN:
11079 Dates: Jan 21 & 22, Feb 4, 5, 11, 12, Mar 4, 5, 18, 19 .
Times: 8 am to 5 pm 144 hours (80 hours classroom plus 64 hours off
campus project) Tuition: $1495 (includes materials) Location: Douglas
College New Westminster, 700 Royal Ave Course information contact 604
864 5770 loc 310. Easy Phone Registration with credit card: 604 527 5472 Quote CRN
· Celebrate the Christmas Season with the Down Syndrome Research Foundation on Friday, December 4th! ..
· Coral Princess & Disney 6th Annual Disney and a Cruise for People with Disabilities, Their Family and Friends! Trip Dates: May 2nd to May 10th, 2010 Spend 4 great days in Anaheim staying at The Clarion Anaheim (or an upgraded Hotel, based on number in the Group) Before Transferring to San Pedro Pier. Sail for 4 days on the Beautiful Coral Princess, Enjoy the fantastic dining and great entertainment on board ship, before arriving in Vancouver. Fantastic value with lots of extras. Contact ALEX YATES, Travel Counsellor, Tel. 250 590 9562, firstname.lastname@example.org, www.travelcounsellors.ca/alex.yates
· Deltassist's Christmas Hamper & Toy Depot?Registration
· Connecting Minds: Fall Newsletter
· Welcome to the November 101 friends e-newsletter!
Move, Groove and Chill!
· Power up your workout with this energizing class that integrates dance, martial arts and yoga!
No previous experience required. This class is open to everyone,
particularly those with developmental disabilities and their care
providers. Come one, come all! For more information please call Farah
at 604 682-3269 ext 6169. Dates: 5 Thursdays, January 7-February 4,
Time: 10:45am to 11:45am, Location: Kits Community Centre Dance Studio
· Take a peek at what we have added to the Deltassist Information & Referral website.
Blanket Drive http://www.deltassist.ca/service/service.php?term=**Blanket+Drive+%28Realtors+Care%29&id=
Free/Low Cost/Goods Services; http://www.deltassist.ca/service/service.php?id=3458
· BCCPD is putting together an edition of Transition magazine that we hope will inspire and help people with disabilities to get out into the community and ‘connect' and ‘participate.' We
want to provide relevant, practical and insightful ideas from
individuals and organizations.?We're writing you to ask for your
expertise and your advice. The good news is we need only very short
pieces - 200 words maximum!??We're thinking of participation/connection
in the broadest possible way. ?Your input will be much much
appreciated. If you have the time to contribute, our deadline to
receive Recipes is November 26. Any questions, please contact Ann Vrlak
at file:///x-msg/::80:email@example.com or 604-842-1176.